Work with students to help them understand proofreading, editing, and finalizing their essays as a one-sided conversation that focuses on sentence-level concerns and addresses problems with spelling, grammar, punctuation, or word choice.
- Formal and Thorough Self-editing Checklist (University of New Hampshire Connors Writing Center): It includes questions on different aspects of writing, such as overall content, sentence structure, grammar and usage, and style. You may use this as a final editing handout, or you may use different parts of it throughout the revision process.
- Subject/Verb (dis)Agreement (OWL Purdue): Provides guidelines on subject/verb agreement, along with exercises and an answer key.
Making Subjects and Verbs Agree handout; Exercises; Answers
- Sentence Fragments (OWL Purdue): Provides exercises for editing practice with answer keys.
- Eliminating Wordiness (Hamilton College): Includes examples with revisions for writing more concisely as well as practice sentences.
- Eliminating Wordiness (OWL Purdue): Includes several exercise handouts with separate answer keys.